Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Same body. New challenge.

The first of the seven in Balance Your 7 is body. 

As I age, this particular component seems to be taking on a mind of its own! I try to exercise on a regular basis, and as I reach closer to middle age, my metabolism is definitely not what it used to be. 

To combat this I've just started a new form of exercise called TRX training. It is commonly used by the military to train soldiers. Using bands suspended from the ceiling and using your own body weight, various exercises are performed. Sounds easy right? Ha, who would have thought your own body, that thing you are trying so hard to shape, could prove so challenging and resistant? Because of our schedules and the ages of our kids, I have found that I need to exercise early in the morning, or it never seems to happen. Lucky for me a local gym is offering early classes, and three times a week happens to be TRX! 

I am now into my second week, and if you see me out and about you may notice I'm walking rather stiff and sore, a TRX side effect! I hurt in places I never knew possible, and am loving every minute of it! The beauty of the class is you can tweak each exercise to fit your ability and level of difficulty. Within each exercise, different muscle groups are isolated and worked for approximately thirty seconds to a minute at a time. Our classes last for approximately 45 minutes, and time flies! 

I want the body I had when I was 22, before kids, able to eat and drink what I wanted without side effects. I know that is no longer possible and that particular vessel is long gone, so in the meantime I need to keep this body as healthy as possible. It helps to shake things up a bit, try new things and see just how far you can push yourself. This is a great, safe way to do that. Who knows, I may even see faint glimmers of that 22-year-old in there somewhere! I dare you to go out and try something new for yourself and whatever current body you have today! 

To read more about Gundersen Health's Balance Your 7, click here.
To read more about TRX, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment