Saturday, July 12, 2014

Green thumb?

Those of you with a green thumb, raise your...um...thumbs! 

I will not be one to do that, I'm more of a garden/plant destroyer. Don't get me wrong, it isn't because I don't want or try to grow things, I think I'm just lacking in experience and general knowledge about how to go about keeping things green and healthy. But I am trying to change that. I have planted a few containers on our patio and so far so good. I've even "harvested" some rather tasty basil and dill and a few tomatoes are starting to grow. 

I am fortunate to have some very talented gardener friends, and we have the perfect spot set aside to add to these herbs, hopefully by next summer. They are going to help guide me in the planning and planting process! Yippee! 

We have participated in our local community garden, and have added weeding to our kids' responsibilities. It is so very important that they see how food is grown and participate in the process. I think we all gain such an appreciation for food and the work that goes into it. I will never forget the joy of picking a tomato fresh from the vine and eating it, warm and juicy. I have really enjoyed sending my kids out to pick some herbs for a salad or cut some lettuce and then they realize that it was growing right in our backyard. Even our son tried some. Success! So the next time I ask for a thumbs up to all who garden, maybe I can raise a partial thumb. At least I'm trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment