Thursday, March 6, 2014

Birkie Recap

Well I survived the darn ski race. It was quite the experience, not all of it wonderful, but overall very worth it! 

Just before departing for the weekend, I read one of Eleanor Roosevelt's famous quotes "Do something everyday that scares you." Well, this certainly captured that feeling the morning of the race. After receiving a dumping of about nine inches of fresh snow, the thermometer read three degrees above zero as we set out to ski! 

As a general rule, I won't venture out when it's below ten, but looks like I didn't have a choice on this day. So along with about 10,000 fellow racers, we donned our ski clothes and prepared to set off. I was at the very back of the pack, as I chose (one of the only WISE things I did) to ski the 12k race, the "Baby Birkie."

Many of the other racers started a couple of hours before. After stepping into skis and shedding our warm top layer, we waited for our time to depart. Our first kilometer was across an open field, with a direct head wind! Did I mention it was three degrees out? I had some serious second thoughts, but the choice to turn around wasn't much of an option, forward it was. Once we passed the field, the woods blocked most of the wind, the sun was shining, and I decided to try to enjoy the experience as a whole. I can easily say that I did!  
It was difficult terrain, mostly uphill and down, very little flat space to glide. But because of the snow conditions from the night before, and the fact I was skiing over snow that thousands before me had skied, it was like slogging through mashed potatoes! But the ski community as a whole is a smiling, friendly bunch, so I kept on slogging! I was so happy to have the finish line in my sights, and join up with other fellow finishers! And it gave me such a great sense of accomplishment that I completed something that really did scare me! That Eleanor was one smart lady. A friend asked me shortly after the race ended if I would do it again. At this point, with well over a year to prepare, I say sure, bring it on! And to borrow another great quote from Mrs. Roosevelt "I could not at any age be content to take my place in a corner by the fireside and simply look on." 

I'll just sit by the fireside after I finish the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment