Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Heading to the 'Birkie' this weekend!

As this winter stacks up as one to remember, or maybe more accurately, one we may never forget, we can say we are more than half way there and spring will come. 

With that being said, my husband and I have committed to participating in our first ever Birkebeiner ski race. Some of you may be asking what that is. Well it's an annual ski race, either classic cross country or skate ski style, that occurs in Cable, Wisconsin every February. As I've written before, we have taken up the sport of skate skiing, and are now throwing our hat into the racing ring. Although, at this point, having not been on my skis in over a month, I am seriously reconsidering this decision! 

Who am I fooling, I'm not cut out for this! I guess I'm in it purely for the experience and the chance to head north with a great group of people. I will be attempting to finish 12 kilometers, and my husband will be skiing the Kortelopet, which is 23 kilometers. The true Birkie is 50 grueling kilometers, complete with a challenging course filled with giant hills and thousands of spectators watching your every move! 

I guess there is a place along the race course where the skiers come flying downhill and have to make a very tricky turn. It is here that a group of wonderful fans sit to "judge" those who fall, and just how spectacular their wipeouts are. 

Note to self, don't be fooled by what sounds like a great idea in June, because race time is officially here! I was half hoping for sub-zero temperatures so that I could bow out gracefully, ha! Are my nerves coming through in print? It will be quite the experience to be in the presence of elite athletes and watch them perform with elegance and grace. If nothing else I will definitely earn that post-race beverage! 

So while you watch those gifted athletes at the Olympics this weekend, remember that there is a tremendous event taking place in your own state. A ski marathon like no other. And your friendly blogger is a reluctant participant! Feel free to send those support vibes, I know I could use every one of them. See you on the other side of the finish line!

For more information about this fantastic race, its history and all the crazy events happening throughout race weekend, check out the link below.

birkie.com

1 comment:

  1. and how did it go? Did you make it to the end? I bet it was a wonderful experience to say the least!

    ReplyDelete